Financial Aid System for Program Students
The following three support options create an environment in which doctoral students can be financially independent and free to concentrate on their studies:
- ① In principle, all Tokyo Tech doctoral students receive the Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students.
- ② Students have opportunities to participate in and receive financial support through the joint research with companies promoted by the Tokyo Tech InfoSyEnergy Research and Education Consortium.
- ③ Doctoral students recognized as having stellar research abilities and potential can receive up to 2.53 million yen in support annually during their enrollment.
- The amount of support each student receives is determined by factors that include whether they are receiving scholarships such as the MEXT scholarship (international students) or the Tsubame Scholarship; whether they have been accepted as recipients of the JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists; and whether they are receiving RA remuneration from joint research projects with consortium member companies or other projects.
- The amount of support is also determined based on research achievement and other factors (dissertation presentation, conference presentations, internship participation, etc.).
Benefits for Program Students
Jointly Running the Program with the InfoSyEnergy Research and Education Consortium Strengthens Collaboration and Creates a Safety Net
- ① The InfoSyEnergy Research and Education Consortium is an industry-academia research and education collaboration program launched in November 2019. Its goal is to design a new sustainable energy society by advancing research on energy elements, systems, and scenarios that leverages big data science (AI analysis and data science) as an integral part of an educational program.
- ② More than seventy Tokyo Tech faculty members from the energy, information, and social science fields participate in the consortium. The director of the Academy of Energy and Informatics, Professor Manabu Ihara, concurrently serves as consortium head. In addition, every institutional consortium member, which as of November 2020 includes 25 member companies, 6 public institutions, Kawasaki City, Hitotsubashi University, and the world’s top 15 universities, has selected program staff members.
- ③ The consortium and the academy collectively form and operate an international industry-academic collaborative research and education hub centered around the program’s students. Their goal is to develop the professionals who will collectively design and drive the energy society of the future.
A global human network centered around doctoral students is created by holding various events that include cutting-edge research workshops and exchange events with consortium member companies and overseas universities. This human network helps students identify their postdoctoral career paths and serves as a venue for the development of their social design scope.
Doctoral students can participate in team-based collaborative research on the themes of energy elements, systems, and scenarios. This research is conducted by teams formed by multiple Tokyo Tech faculty members with other consortium members, including member companies and overseas universities. Students are encouraged to play a central role in international industry-academia collaboration settings.
By engaging in exchanges and group work in the same room with students from around the world at the InfoSyEnergy International Forum, students can form networks with other doctoral students and cultivate relationships that will be an asset in their postdoctoral careers.
The business and international mentorship system will help students develop multifaceted viewpoints. The program staff members selected by each partner institution serve as business or international mentors.
Recipients of Scholarship
The events List of Tokyo Tech Academy for WISE Program
Students who belong to Tokyo Tech Academy of Energy and Informatics, Tokyo Tech Academy for Convergence of Materials and Informatics, and Tokyo Tech Academy for Super Smart Society can also participate in the events each other at other Tokyo Tech Academies.
Please click below to see the events you can participate in.Events List of Available for Students of Tokyo Tech Academy for WISE Program（As of July 1, 2022）